Online Night Sky Map

current night sky over Manila
Sky map by AstroViewer®
Get the HTML code for this sky map

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Turning Point


The last time I did an observation was during the Total Lunar Eclipse on June 16, 2011. Since then, I’ve seldom looked up and observed the night sky because of the bad weather - or maybe, things have changed without me knowing.

My love for astronomy has inspired me in many ways. For four years, I've been fond of taking pictures of the sun, moon, planets and constellations; participated in various activities of local astronomy groups; and blogged almost all my astronomy-related experiences. Through these activities, I became motivated to take risks and grab opportunities. Before, I was known to be a very timid person who couldn't even talk in front of many people and was always afraid to try new things. I still have these weaknesses, but because of my desire to pursue Astronomy in every way I can, I gradually improved.

Then one day, I just stopped doing these activities. I started to doubt if I would still do the same for the rest of my life.

There are many reasons why I came to this realization. I blame the realities of life that I am getting old and my priorities should be to work hard and earn for a living. Moreover, Astronomy is a very expensive hobby and can be time-consuming. A practical person would rather choose to spend his or her money to buy necessities such as food and clothes, and save to buy a car or a house than choosing the best telescope. 

Despite these worries, my desire to pursue Astronomy has always been there. It is my happiness. I am not only sure in what way I can sustain it. 

This year, I attended two international conferences where I met professional and amateur astronomers. I exchanged views about the situation of Astronomy in the Philippines and discussed about my career plan in the future. It was here that I understood the cause of my problem. I realized that I was afraid of the changes that I have to make and what I have to be just to fulfill my dream. I need more time, effort, and dedication to become a scientist. As much as I wanted to do the same things for the past four years, I have to set it aside for growth. I am starting to believe that there are things you can’t do at the same time. 

I am sharing this to UP Astrosoc members, especially to those who are about to leave UP and to those who resist change. The world outside UP will definitely test how you value your goals and dreams and push you to the limit. Life out there is more than just observing under the stars and taking pictures of the heavens. You have to know your priorities even if it means giving up something you’ve worked hard for so long. All of us have our own comfort zones. Sometimes, the only way to grow and mature is to set aside these things that hold us back. 

To the stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment